We give and give and give and sometimes it can deplete us. Being in the service industry, caring for a loved one, or even being in a relationship, can require a lot of giving. And if we aren’t careful, we’ll burnout.
As a yoga teacher for almost 20 years, I have been super careful on staying on top of my self care. And i gotta tell you, the burnout, it’s a real thing. I’ve seen people quit teaching because they feel empty, when a few months ago they were all amped up. I’ve had people ask me, how do you do it? Continually show up with energy and teach a class. I do it because I am strict about my boundaries. When i teach too much and practice too little, I am off. It’s all about balance, isn’t it?
We want to teach because we love this practice. I always tell new teachers in our yoga teacher training to set boundaries as our teaching suffers when we neglect our own practice. Set a limit for how many classes you are willing to teach and how many times you need to practice a week. For me, my max is 5 classes of teaching and AT LEAST 3 of practicing.
Below is my list that has worked for me over the years. I only speak from experience. I am excited to share these with you as I know they have worked well for me.
And I’ll start by saying this:
It’s ok to put yourself first.
It’s ok to take breaks.
It’s ok to say no.
- Move your body. It’s the fountain of youth!
- Yoga: I am not ok unless I keep up with my practice.
- Go to bed the same time every night.
- Calcium & magnesium supplements and spray melotonin before bed.
- Pro-biotics every day keeps me from getting sick!
- Cutting out caffeine = less anxiety. Truth.
- CBD helps. Do your research! Lots of good info out there!
- Essential oils.
- Cold showers. Don’t knock it til you try it.
- Meditation! 5 minutes a day is a great place to start!
- Epson salt baths: I try and take at least 2 a week.
- Fascia blasting: Keeps me pain free!
- Chiropractic adjustment once a month. My knees, wrists, neck, ankles, they all benefit!
- Deep tissue assage every 6-8 weeks.
- Make time for play. We work too hard and need it!
- Gratitude journal: write down 5 things every day that you are grateful for
- Get off social media. The less I am on it the better I feel!
- Turn off the news. Period.
- Surround yourself with people that lift you up, not bring you down.
- Get outside and get fresh air. Even if it’s cold!
Those were the first ones I thought of. I am sure there are more but they are my go-tos each week. What are your self care remedies?