My goal for this month, besides upping my veggie game, is to try new things as far as cooking goes. I get in a rut of making the same things over and over again. So tonight, along with my veggie and grass fed beef kabobs, I decided to get creative with a new, healthy alternative to nachos. Yep, you read that right… NACHOS!
Who doesn’t love nachos???? But if you are like me, you feel like crap after eating them! What a great way to get your veggies in AND still get the nacho fix without all of the carbs and other junk from your typical tortilla chips. And who needs pre-made taco seasoning when you can just use the spices listed below! So much healthier and tastes GREAT!
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it hotter)
- 1 lb ground GRASS FED beef
- 1 lb mini peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Other toppings as desired (olives, chopped jalapeño, avocado)
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef until just cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes, breaking up any clumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Add spice mixture and sauté until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking tray with aluminum foil. Arrange mini peppers in a single layer, cut-side up but very close together.
- Sprinkle with ground beef mixture and shredded cheese (make sure every mini pepper gets a little meat and cheese!). Bake 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven & top with chopped tomatoes and any other desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Making healthier choices is easier than it seems. It takes a little more prep but that is a good thing. Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy these as much as my husband and I did! SO GOOD!!!!!!!!